Building on my initial tests, I have been further developing my 3D Prototype Controller. I started by creating a simple 3D model in Blender to use for the prototype in order to better visualise how the movement is working with my particular character, Weedy the Sea Dragon.
By modelling manually like this I am improving my ability to quickly knock out prototype models for a faster workflow. Previously I have made most of my models by creating Voxels in Sproxel and then using the Decimate Modifier in Blender to generate a low poly model, which results in much less control over the shape and less desirable topology. I think it’s important to improve my ability to model more traditionally and manually. Although I have little knowledge of 3D and my topology is far from ideal, it still functions perfectly fine for a prototype, which is all I need.
A turntable of the final model.
I exported my model from Blender as an FBX and then imported it into Unreal Engine. The image above shows the model as a Skeletal Mesh, but I soon realised a Static Mesh would be fine for this stage and re-imported it. If I need to rig or animate at all later (which is likely depending on how I progress with the movement controls), then I can make use of a Skeletal Mesh. For now though, I wanted to keep things as simple as possible so I can focus on one thing at once.
I first opened up the Flying Starter Content and replaced the mesh with my own, just to quickly test how those controls felt as a starting point. It worked fine and I could tell this would be a good place to start editing the Blueprints to refine the movement myself.
However, I also wanted to try the “Space Shooter” Starter Pack I had found in my earlier post. It took a fair amount of trial and error and lots of extra research and troubleshooting to get the content into my new project and tweak it to work with my model and my ideas. I studied the blueprints and other assets carefully, removing what I didn’t need in order to give myself the most simple resources to start working with. This has taught me a lot more about UE4 and Blueprints. The above image shows an early test, controlling the character after setting up my model with the Blueprints and other content I had imported, and after making several tweaks.
I continued to play around, refining what I had and learning more about how it works. I adjusted some Speed values and also the Input Bindings quite a lot, resulting in a control scheme that I feel works more fluidly — although there is still a lot I would like to continue to change. For example, I altered it so that up/down movement was controlled with the Left/Right Mouse Button. The player would already be using the mouse to steer the camera, along with WASD to steer the Pawn, so it makes sense to make use of LMB/RMB. Previously, this was set to use Shift and Control, but I found this much less natural.
The above image shows the current state of my prototype. I began adding in some blocks to practice navigating around in order to get a better feel for how the control is working. The game would most likely feature tunnel-based levels so it’s important to create a controller that works well with tighter spaces. It’s also important to experiment with the up and down movement, not just the forward/back/left/right, as the vertical movement in the water is something that is important for me to get right.
A few details I would like to work on from this point are:
It is important to me that I end up with a movement controller that is uniquely my own. Although it is very useful that I have found starter content I can make use of as a starting point, it’s necessary that I actually do fully understand it and am not relying too heavily on the work of someone else. In order to do this I will continue to deconstruct the Blueprints and try rebuilding them from scratch so I can break down each section individually and examine how it works. I will then continue to build my own adjustments into it until the product is something unique to myself and my concept.
I also think it is very important to begin collecting feedback from others at this stage. The way that people interact with control schemes varies a lot person to person and some feedback would be very valuable in order to understand where I should put my focus next and what details need more tweaking. It may be necessary here to add the option for inverting the controls, as some people may require this in order to give accurate feedback. The way in which the camera moves is similar to how the control of a FPS or in-game Flight works – these are examples where a lack of option to invert can sometimes be completely game-breaking for players, resulting in them feeling very frustrated.
My next steps should be to address the areas above and look into creating a set of play-testing questions regarding the control so far.