Posts in Category: Mini Tasks

Task 3: Frogger Clone Progress

Frogger_Clone_Space

The sprite artwork has been updated to reflect a different theme

I have made some progress with my Task 3, the Frogger Clone. I am now working towards creating something more original, starting by creating new artwork. I made some quick space-themed sprites, aiming for an arcade shooter feel. I replaced the Trucks and Cars with Asteroids and Meteors. The logs became light-beam platforms. This dramatically changed the theme but the gameplay still fits. I would like to work further into the artwork, but first I will turn my focus to improving the functionality. My next steps will be to add some kind of Score System and Win/Lose/Restart Screens.

Later down the line, I would like to improve the artwork further by adding some simple animations to the projectiles, platforms and possibly the background too. This will bring the scene to life a bit more and add more visual interest to the player. It would also be interesting to experiment with some visual feedback in the sprite when the player loses, such as the ship falling or exploding – right now it simply disappears instantly and is quite anti-climactic.

Task 3: Frogger Clone

The third mini-task we have been set is to create a Frogger clone.

Image of Unity Screenshot

The project so far in Unity 5

It made more sense for me to approach this task in Unity rather than UE4 as it feels more suited to 2D/sprite based games and my Unity experience means I can take the concept a little further. Although I would like to improve my very minimal knowledge of UE4 and Blueprints, for this task in particular it felt most logical to use Unity.

Video Gif of the game being played

Gif showing the game in action

Above shows the current state of my Frogger Clone. I made use of tutorials to get to this point, using Unity. I used pre-made sprites while I got the game functioning correctly. Now, I would like to make the game more original and build in my own features and artwork.

A few things I would like to introduce next are:

  • Custom Art – Sprites and Animation (potentially changing the theme)
  • ‘You win’ and ‘You lose’ feedback
  • Points Scoring system with High Score
  • Collectibles for extra points
  • ‘Start’ and ‘Restart’ GUI buttons
  • Additional level(s) with increased difficulty

 

Task 2: Art Test

Image of Both Gemstones and Reference

Both Gemstones and Reference Image for Comparison

Image showing detail of Green Gemstone

Detail at 400% Zoom of Green Gemstone

Image Showing Zoom Detail on Red Gemstone

Detail at 400% Zoom of Red Gemstone

Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 20.19.03

W.I.P. Shot of Red Gemstone showing workflow process

Task 1: Insect

moodboard_sketches

The first secondary task we have been given is to create something from the prompt “Insect”. I decided to go down the route of a Mysid, which is an order of small, shrimp-like crustaceans (which I feel is a close enough link to insects). I chose these creatures as they could be linked to my main Studio work, Weedy the Sea Dragon, as I have always planned Weedy would gain energy/powerups by eating small Shrimp-like creatures (as Sea Dragons naturally would eat similar creatures in nature). I gathered some reference material and did some rough sketches to start thinking about the shape and form of the creature and how I could recreate this in a different style.Untitled-4

I started by illustrating a Mysid in 2D and adding some quick and basic animation. This style follows the original 2D aesthetic of Weedy the Sea Dragon.I particularly like the colours used and feel like the design—although basic—does make a fairly unique character.

Mysid

I then wanted to take the design a little further as I felt the previous illustration wasn’t really substantial enough to be considered as fully answering the task. I made a voxel version of the sprite.

I then made some quick renders in Blender to show the design. I don’t think that my response to this task is particularly strong compared to my other work, but it could work well as concept art for some potential future additions to my main Studio project. It also helped me get back into the 3D workflow and re-familiarise myself with creating Voxels, using Blender and rendering out designs — so overall I am still pleased with the result. If I were to re-visit this task, I could improve this design by adding some more unique characteristics (right now it’s based almost entirely from nature, without my own original input) or by recreating it in a stylised ‘Low Poly’ look rather than sticking just with the Voxels.